Are you interested in pursuing your career in Geospatial Information Technology? Then Masters of Science (M.S) in Geospatial Information Technology can take you closer to your dream.
What is Geospatial Information Technology?
GIT is an evolving field of study that includes Geographic Information System (GIS), Remote Sensing (RS), and Global Positioning System (GPS). Most importantly Geospatial technology enables us to gain data that is referenced to the earth and use it for analysis, modelling, mock-ups, and visualization.
In particular, where is this degree or technology useful?
GIT particularly has varied applications. Let’s begin with, GIS Developers, they certainly create and refashion GIS tools, applications, programs, and software. Further, we can look into Conservationist; they manage and identify natural habitats to preserve, by applying GIS mapping technology. On the other hand, GIT has been applied in Law Enforcement to analyse GIS in their jobs to keep cities safe. Moreover, Remote sensing analysts solve problems by using scans from aircraft and satellites. Likewise, Climate scientists use GIS to analyse climate patterns.
What are the requirements for this degree?
- Firstly, Bachelors in Geographic Information (GI) e.g., environmental planning, regional planning, geography, with a GPA of 3.0 or higher,
- Secondly, Hands-on training in basic Geographic Information Systems,
- Thirdly, Introductory programming language (Python is preferred),
- Lastly, Introductory statistics
Current trends and developments in GIT
- To begin with, there is extensive applicability and advancements in location-based technologies.
- In addition, it gives an insight into the Global Navigation Satellite System in precision applications
- Above all, there are strategic initiatives by leading GIS industry players
- Moreover, there is escalating development of sophisticated sat-nav technologies.
- Especially, it generates valuable agriculture information
Job opportunities under GIT
- Geographic Information System Analyst/Senior GIS Analyst
- Geographic Information System Program Manager/Cartographer
- GIS Specialist/Senior GIS Specialist
- GIS Unit Supervisor
- Geospatial Logistics Analyst
Major employers in Geospatial Information Technology in India and the USA
- Dimension IGIS
- Geo Climate Risk Solutions
- Marvel Geospatial
- Azavea Inc
- Bentley Systems