FACTS & FIGURES
Founded by members of the Religious Society of Friends in 1887 and named in honor of the Quaker poet and abolitionist John Greenleaf Whittier, Whittier College continues to honor its Quaker heritage through a commitment to community, diversity, and finding common ground with people the world over. The College, however, has been secular since the 1940’s.
- Whittier College is one of a very few colleges or universities to have graduated a U.S. President: Richard M. Nixon ’34. Richard Nixon served as student body president, co-founded the Orthogonian Society, and was an excellent debater.
- The College offers one graduate degree: a master’s degree in education through Whittier College
- Whittier has 1,700 students
- All courses at Whittier are taught by faculty, not teaching assistants. The student-faculty ratio is 12 to 1, making familiarity and mentorship possible.
- Whittier offers students a choice of 32 majors and a variety of minors and program options.
The most popular majors at Whittier College include: Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Support Services; Biological and Biomedical Sciences; Social Sciences; Psychology; and Visual and Performing Arts.
Art & Visual Studies
- Studio Art Track
- Art History & Visual Culture Track
- Digital Art & Design Track
- Balanced Curriculum Track
- Accounting Concentration
- Finance Concentration
- International Business Concentration
- Management Concentration
- Marketing Concentration
- Chemistry with ACS Certification
- Business Economics concentration
- International Economics concentration
- General Economics concentration
- Engineering 3-2 Chemistry
- Engineering 3-2 Computer Science
- Engineering 3-2 Mathematics
- Engineering 3-2 Physics
- Engineering 3-2 Science & Letters
- Creative Writing Emphasis
- Environmental Studies Track
- Environmental Science Track
Global & Cultural Studies
- Geographical Area
- National/Transnational Institutions
Integrated Computer Science
- Integrated Computer Science/Mathematics Track
- Integrated Computer Science/Physics Track
- Integrated Computer Science/Economics Track
- Pre-Physical Therapy Emphasis
- Sports Management Emphasis
- Pure Mathematics Emphasis
- Applied Mathematics Emphasis
- Teaching Mathematics Emphasis
- Astronomy Emphasis
- International Relations Track
- Health Sciences Advising Program
- Physical Therapy Advising Program
- 3-2 Engineering Cooperative Program
Theater & Communication Arts
- Design & Technology Emphasis
- Performance Emphasis
Pre-Med and Pre-Health
Whittier students who plan to pursue careers as doctors, dentists, optometrists, chiropractors, or veterinarians select a closely related major and receive specialized guidance from a select group of professors throughout their time at Whittier.
Starting in their first year, pre-health students build experience in the lab, in the field, and in the classroom, ensuring they develop the investigative and professional skills they’ll need for admission to and success in a professional school.
Kinesiology majors at Whittier College can declare a Pre-Physical Therapy emphasis that will prepare them for admission to Doctor of Physical Therapy programs after completing their Bachelor’s degree at Whittier. Pre-Physical Therapy students work closely with highly-regarded professors in Whittier’s Kinesiology department to ensure they select the right courses and electives throughout their time at Whittier.