Studying in Europe has been gaining popularity with ‘desis’. Germany with it’s lucrative offers of free state education has been especially successful in luring students.
Even though some might be skeptical about life in a non-english speaking country, there are many reasons why studying in Germany can be pretty awesome. Here are 8 of them.
- Free education– Well what can be better than FREE EDUCATION. It must be kept in mind though that this is for state universities which are also really good! Instead of paying a really big amount of tuition fee and worrying about paying back your student loans, wouldn’t it be awesome to just study and have fun? The ones that do charge a tuition fee are also very less when compared with the exorbitant amounts charged by other countries (which have their advantages but oh well, I’m studying in Germany so I will be partial ;))
- Excellent education standard and infrastructure– Just because it’s free doesn’t mean it’s bad. German institutions are ranked very high and boast of excellent infrastructure. Not only do you get to study your interested discipline here, you also get a chance to learn from the best professors from all over the world. Apart from excellent engineering universities, Germany has universities offering pure sciences, applied sciences and even art and music and they have students from all over the world learning it.
- Exchange semesters – Most of the universities in Germany provide a very exciting opportunity for students to study for a semester in any of their partner universities which could be anywhere in Europe or sometimes even in any other part of the world! You also don’t have to be afraid of the cost, there are many scholarships especially designed for students intending to do an exchange semester.
- Part time jobs and internships- Apart from scholarships, there are also opportunities for students to do part time jobs (English speaking job opportunities are a reality in most big cities) so you cover most of your living expenditure while you study! Europe has an excellent internship culture that you will be exposed to and here you are especially encouraged to get some work experience in the form of an internship which will of course eventually help you land the job of your dreams.
- Oldest universities– This country also boasts of some of the oldest universities in the world which are still as reputed as ever. Imagine studying in classrooms that were once the same place where Albert Einstein, Karl Marx, Heinrich Hertz famously studied. Some of the universities in Germany where established in the late 19th century. Did you know that the 3rd President of India Zakir Husain studied at the University of Berlin?
- Learning and speaking German– Well if you’re like me and are excited about the possibility of learning a new language then Germany is the place for you! Even though some universities are not strict about learning the language, it is recommended to have some basic knowledge of the language (the medium of instruction is usually English, especially for a Masters course). And I can definitely tell you from a personal point of you, it’s not as difficult as people put it.
- History all around– Germany has an incredible history and exploring the country is like walking through pages of history as most of it has been preserved. Apart from the innumerable number of museums and historical sights, the streets and parks also have beautiful stories attached to it.
- Traveling made easy– This point is more in common when you study in any Schengen country. If you don’t know what that means I suggest you to Google it immediately! To give you a brief idea, it means you can travel and stay up to 90 days (per visit) in any of the 26 Schengen countries without a VISA!! And trust me travelling around here is not expensive at all. You can take a bus from Berlin to Amsterdam for 10 Euros (That’s Rs.800) Yup, you read that correctly!
So what are you waiting for, start planning your study abroad to Germany, I promise you an experience like no other!